Pension La Roata *** respects the principles of ecotourism, developing and promoting those forms of tourism that have a minimal negative impact on the environment and on the local community, maximizing the positive impact on the local economy.
Ecotourism is a form of responsible tourism that, in its purest sense, wants to have a minimal impact on the local environment and culture, generates income and jobs for the community where it takes place and, at the same time, contributes to the conservation of local ecosystems.
Ecotourism must meet the following conditions:
1. Minimizing the negative impact (economic, environmental, and social) of tourism.
2. Generating economic benefits for the local community and improving the quality of life and working conditions of the locals by using local guides, buying local goods and services, using the facilities in the given region, etc.
3. Conservation and protection of nature; ecotourism involves participation in the protection of natural areas, biodiversity conservation, of local cultural heritage.
4. Providing more pleasant experiences to tourists through a better connection between them and local realities and facilitating the understanding by tourists of local cultural, social, and environmental issues.
We, at La Roata*** pension, make sustained efforts to respect the principles of ecotourism, we want to offer tourist services with minimal impact on nature and increase the quality of life in our community, by protecting and promoting local products, culture and traditions.
1. conservation of natural resources and reduction of the impact on the environment
2. stimulating the development of the local community by hiring staff from local communities and by promoting local culture and traditions.
3. ensuring safe and quality services
4. employees and tourists benefit from the safety of both the workplace and the activities they undertake.
Reducing water consumption
• we use taps and low flow shower heads;
• we use containers with controllable water flow in toilets
• the rooms have shower cabins, not bathtubs
• we use a small amount of water when watering the plants (watering is done especially in the morning or evening or we take them out in the rain for watering and / or cleaning the leaves)
• we collect rainwater and use it to water the plants
• we display written warnings in each bathroom to encourage the reduction of water consumption;
• we encourage tourists to use towels for several days;
• tourists have the option to give up daily cleaning services.
• we connect all the tourist facilities to the centralized system of the city.
Reducing the amount of waste and garbage
• we purchase materials to avoid excess packaging;
• we use biodegradable packaging as much as possible
• for supply we use reusable shopping bags
• we have eliminated from use plastic glasses, bottles, cutlery, bowls, plates, mixing sticks.
• we use reusable or biodegradable containers (e.g. glasses and bottles);
• we use disposable toiletries (shampoo, shower gel, hand soap) at most once / individual / stay;
• we encourage both staff and tourists to participate in waste collection, recycling, and reduction waste programs;
• collect and dispose of all garbage;
• we make compost from organic waste: grass, coffee grounds, etc.
• we subsidize (financing, labor) cleaning days (at least once a year).
Reducing energy consumption
• we use over 90% fluorescent light instead of incandescent light;
• the rooms are naturally ventilated – we do not have air conditioners in any of our spaces.
• Natural light is largely used during the day
• heat loss through windows and doors is reduced by proper sealing, by using double-glazed windows and insulating strips;
• we use solar energy (solar panels);
• an employee trained in this regard is responsible for streamlining energy consumption;
• heat is produced and distributed through central installations using natural gas and wood;
• the electrical equipment is “energy efficient” class;
• wood and other natural materials (stone, etc.) were used in a large proportion for the construction of the buildings,
• we encourage tourists to use fuel-efficient transportation and help them with the creation of personalized routes with the greatest savings in time, fuel and kilometers (e.g. providing information on public transport, providing free bicycles to visit the tourist attractions, providing information about renting carriages and carts for certain visits);
• we encourage our employees to get to and from work on foot or by bicycle
• all our vehicles are well maintained (up-to-date technical inspection);
• we use fuel efficient vehicles;
Reducing the impact on air, soil, and water
• tourist facilities and activities (e.g., buildings, paths) do not lead to land remodeling, nor complete elimination of natural vegetation, obstruction of light and view, etc. • we use appropriate signs to maintain traffic in the designated areas (e.g., parking and car access on grassy areas is prohibited)
• the waste is only stored in places especially created for it;
• the usual level of noise produced by the activities within the complex (including telephones, radios, transportation or landscape maintenance, mechanical equipment, and installations) does not significantly exceed the background noise of the area;
• the noise-generating repair and maintenance units are placed at a distance from the quiet areas (bedrooms, garden) and have an alternative schedule with the time when the tourists are inside the pension.
• we offer tourists the opportunity to enjoy the «peace of nature»;
• there are no disturbing odors associated with pollutant emissions into the air;
• waste incineration is only controlled and does not cause visible air degradation.
• we use the services of local guides to present the area’s attractions to tourists that visits us
• our staff lives exclusively in the area
• we always encourage and promote the purchase of local products and souvenirs;
• we use other local services: car service, laundry, cart and sleigh rental etc.;
• we offer the possibility of practice for students / young people living in the area, to achieve a work experience in the field of ecotourism.
Promoting local culture and traditions:
• we communicate to tourists the appropriate conduct code within the local community (e.g. at Monasteries)
• we inform tourists about the customs of the area; we encourage them to participate to the traditional local festivals;
• we serve cosher food, with products purchased from local producers (meat, dairy, vegetables, and fruits)
• we buy souvenirs from local producers and we promote them at the pension
• we use local and authentic decor elements
• in unforeseen situations, we have a person responsible for the quick approach and solve of the problem;
• tourists have access to a list of contact information in case of emergency: fire service; natural area administration, mountain rescue, hospital, etc.;
• all employees wear safety equipment when imposed
• the correct use of the equipment is explained by the manager of the company or specialized companies / persons;
• Staff follow all safety protocols imposed by local authorities
• There is hand sanitizer in essential areas of the pension as well
• Washing and disinfection of linen and towels is done through outsourced service, a company that uses professional detergents and disinfectants, approved by the health authorities. Everything is returned to the location in sealed bags.
• the company and all employees have insurance according to the categories of activities they carry out;
• In the current COVID-19 context, we have taken all necessary measures to protect both staff and tourists from getting sick:
– Our staff is trained to rigorously enforce all internal legal measures on the prevention of COVID-19. Each employee is informed in detail about the essential prevention measures. Operating instructions are constantly being improved.
– Access to the hotel for employees is made through designated areas, fulfilling the control procedure for this period with thorough disinfection of the hands.
– We updated the work equipment for our team, so the employees received in the standard uniform protective mask, visor (as appropriate).
– We provide all employees with hand sanitizer.
– We have updated the internal working procedures and increased the frequency of hand washing and disinfection of spaces and utensils during work processes (both in the kitchen, restaurant, cleaning, and reception).
– there are carpets with disinfectant solutions – for disinfecting footwear – at the entrance to each space.
– we recommend online or bank transfer payments. For the payments at the reception, we recommend the using the card.
– To reduce the contact with the receptionist, we installed a plexiglass screen on the reception desk.
– We have updated the cleaning procedure in the rooms, so that the cleaning and disinfection time has increased.
– Employees will wear protective equipment (mask, gloves) throughout the time spent at work
• Surfaces are cleaned, wiped, and disinfected with dedicated professional products certified by the Ministry of Health.
• In the disinfection process we pay special attention to handles, switches, sockets, all flat surfaces, etc.
• Bathrooms are cleaned and disinfected with dedicated professional products, according to the protocol established by our supplier and the updated cleaning checklist.
• We updated working procedures and increased the frequency of hand washing and disinfection in all work processes.